Skip directly to content

Robbin's Death Was A Hard Lesson

• Robbin's Death Was A Hard Lesson
    02.09.2010 10:55:54 AM

The chemistry created by each member is integral.
    When the balance breaks, that gives many fans a sense of "Something isn't just right."

I felt that kind of sense when I picked up the album 'Dancing Undercover'.
    As mentioned in another thread, I could officially meet the whole members at Budokan on DU tour.
    When I met Robbin, I said through an interpreter " Warren plays solos a lot more but I want to listen to the twin guitar leads more." Then he gave me a little kiss on the cheek.

Robbin was loved by many. No doubt about it. The most famous metal critic in Japan, Masa Ito, said "Robbin is a really nice person. He's a leader behind the scene" when he took us, the winners of his contest, to the backstage. I believe Robbin was like a mediator when issues arose.
    Why should a great guy like him have had to be pushed to the side and leave the band?
    That's when the balance broke.
    Robbin passed away on Jun. 6th in 2002.

The following is Bobby's statement appeared in BURRN! magazine from Japan.
    Translation from Japanese is done by me and it's not perfect but I hope you understand.
    (EDIT: Since I've found Bobby's comment originally posted in his site @ another site, I'll quote it replacing my translation from Japanese.)

"My Brother"
    " Dear friends and lovers of the King:

It has been about 10 hours since we all lost one of the most kind hearted, the most compassionate, intelligent, talented, strong - - I mean fucking strong like I could never be - - humans to ever have the pleasure and to be lucky enough to have in our lives! I've been sitting here in the company of the people that I love tonight and we've been watching some videos of Robbin doing what he's always done best and that's kick ass live on stage!
    We made such a mark together as friends and as a band, And, the fact that I have that for the rest of my life is like having a reason for being. And I thank Robbin and the rest of my Ratt band mates for from the bottom of my heart. I would also like to tell my family how much I love them and that I also love my friends as well. I want everyone to know one thing here, too.

Never once did any of us hear King complain about his situation... You have to understand something... The man was put through hell and never, ever bitched about it. I know that I'm the biggest whining pussy about things that aren't even a fraction of what he had to deal with, and that is what makes him the King of the world! I only wish he would have been able to use it like a decade before. There are so many touching stories that we have that are what the essence of who Robbin was. If you guys only knew. Out of all us guys in the band, Robbin was the most obliged to take care of the other guys' family and friends at shows. I can only dream of being on stage with him and the rest of us together again, because that's all it will ever be with him gone. As myself and my sons and my girl spent time with him on Christmas Eve, all I could do was think.... God.... please, make this go away. And looking at my bro lying there and still having so much class and dignity, I really felt humbled. But yet, so goddammed bummed. What could I do? How can I get the King back where he belongs? I was always too fucking scared to face the truth. I love Robbin so much. I will miss him, and I have missed him so much. Part of me, my family, and Rock n Roll left us today. The only peace I'm feeling right now is that he's out of the nightmare that has attacked him.
    Peace and happiness to us all! Thank you King!"

(EDIT: After having read the whole comment, I felt Bobby is really an honest man coz he admits his weakness. Being honest sometimes or often hurt others and mostly not intentionally but unintentionally.)

After Robbin left and then Stephen left the band, Bobby kept RATT going along w/ Warren.
    Bobby was in a well-known band while other members were not.
    His knowledge about music business must've been an integral asset during the early era.
    I've seen many bands live but Bobby's dynamic style impressed me the most.

All in all, the guys learned a hard lesson by losing their great friend, Robbin.
    After meeting Stephen in '07, I really got to like him as much as I like Bobby. I thought he is a man who keeps his promise. All the ups and downs they've experienced can lead them to make reconciliation.
    I truly believe in it.

Hey, even a person who bashed Bobby admitted he was nice to him/her.
    Bobby (or someone in charge) took time to reply me w/ one line message when I sent one at his site in March or so this year. It seems the contact feature is no longer available.

This is one example of a fan. If you have encountered the members, could you share your stories?
    There're enough negative comments about Bobby, I would appreciate if you could share positive ones. :D

Thank you so much for reading a long post.

Eternal Servant's picture
on 02.09.2010 10:55:54 AM

The chemistry created by each member is integral.
When the balance breaks, that gives many fans a sense of "Something isn't just right."

I felt that kind of sense when I picked up the album 'Dancing Undercover'.
As mentioned in another thread, I could officially meet the whole members at Budokan on DU tour.
When I met Robbin, I said through an interpreter " Warren plays solos a lot more but I want to listen to the twin guitar leads more." Then he gave me a little kiss on the cheek.

Robbin was loved by many. No doubt about it. The most famous metal critic in Japan, Masa Ito, said "Robbin is a really nice person. He's a leader behind the scene" when he took us, the winners of his contest, to the backstage. I believe Robbin was like a mediator when issues arose.
Why should a great guy like him have had to be pushed to the side and leave the band?
That's when the balance broke.
Robbin passed away on Jun. 6th in 2002.

The following is Bobby's statement appeared in BURRN! magazine from Japan.
Translation from Japanese is done by me and it's not perfect but I hope you understand.
(EDIT: Since I've found Bobby's comment originally posted in his site @ another site, I'll quote it replacing my translation from Japanese.)

"My Brother"
" Dear friends and lovers of the King:

It has been about 10 hours since we all lost one of the most kind hearted, the most compassionate, intelligent, talented, strong - - I mean fucking strong like I could never be - - humans to ever have the pleasure and to be lucky enough to have in our lives! I've been sitting here in the company of the people that I love tonight and we've been watching some videos of Robbin doing what he's always done best and that's kick ass live on stage!
We made such a mark together as friends and as a band, And, the fact that I have that for the rest of my life is like having a reason for being. And I thank Robbin and the rest of my Ratt band mates for from the bottom of my heart. I would also like to tell my family how much I love them and that I also love my friends as well. I want everyone to know one thing here, too.

Never once did any of us hear King complain about his situation... You have to understand something... The man was put through hell and never, ever bitched about it. I know that I'm the biggest whining pussy about things that aren't even a fraction of what he had to deal with, and that is what makes him the King of the world! I only wish he would have been able to use it like a decade before. There are so many touching stories that we have that are what the essence of who Robbin was. If you guys only knew. Out of all us guys in the band, Robbin was the most obliged to take care of the other guys' family and friends at shows. I can only dream of being on stage with him and the rest of us together again, because that's all it will ever be with him gone. As myself and my sons and my girl spent time with him on Christmas Eve, all I could do was think.... God.... please, make this go away. And looking at my bro lying there and still having so much class and dignity, I really felt humbled. But yet, so goddammed bummed. What could I do? How can I get the King back where he belongs? I was always too fucking scared to face the truth. I love Robbin so much. I will miss him, and I have missed him so much. Part of me, my family, and Rock n Roll left us today. The only peace I'm feeling right now is that he's out of the nightmare that has attacked him.
Peace and happiness to us all! Thank you King!"

(EDIT: After having read the whole comment, I felt Bobby is really an honest man coz he admits his weakness. Being honest sometimes or often hurt others and mostly not intentionally but unintentionally.)

After Robbin left and then Stephen left the band, Bobby kept RATT going along w/ Warren.
Bobby was in a well-known band while other members were not.
His knowledge about music business must've been an integral asset during the early era.
I've seen many bands live but Bobby's dynamic style impressed me the most.

All in all, the guys learned a hard lesson by losing their great friend, Robbin.
After meeting Stephen in '07, I really got to like him as much as I like Bobby. I thought he is a man who keeps his promise. All the ups and downs they've experienced can lead them to make reconciliation.
I truly believe in it.

Hey, even a person who bashed Bobby admitted he was nice to him/her.
Bobby (or someone in charge) took time to reply me w/ one line message when I sent one at his site in March or so this year. It seems the contact feature is no longer available.

This is one example of a fan. If you have encountered the members, could you share your stories?
There're enough negative comments about Bobby, I would appreciate if you could share positive ones. :D

Thank you so much for reading a long post.

Forum category: 
justlovely's picture

I've been a fan from Out of The Cellar. Bought the ep then moved forward with Ratt. Bought every album. Never saw them live tho. Was hoping the Ratt/Poison tour they would come to the then Brendan Byrne Arena in Jersey and they never did. I was so bummed. So....I never saw them live. Hopefully now that i live in Spartanburg,SC they will come perfom at the Spartanburg Memorial Auditorium. I will say there music helped me through a very rough childhood. I tried liking other bands as much as I loved Ratt but nothing could compare to Ratt at all. Be proud guys. Ya'll are very unique and still moving forward. That's a accomplishment in itself. Btw I'm tangledinyarn on twitter. Anyone may add me. :D Ratt and Roll forever! I miss Robbin so much....

BigRattfan, yep, as for the rock starr look, Robbin indeed looked that way.

Nobody Rides For Free is released after Robbin left and it was a sound track for Point Break starring Patrick Swayze and
Keanu Reeves.

The beard man is The Metal God, Rob Halford who SEP mentioned about him on recent tweets on American Idols.
I got to meet him when he had a gig in Nagoya one day before The Loud Park on which Ratt was on the same bill.
Judas Priest will be on the last MAJOR world tour. (It doesn't mean retirement.) Folks, check them out!

I fortunately could meet my heroes, RATT, Rob & Glenn Tipton, John Sykes and Pariah whose bass player Sims Ellison (Renee Zellweger's ex-boyfriend who committed suicide after the breakup) passed away on June 6th, 1995.

June 6th is one of the saddest day for me.

WJDCRZY, thanks again for your kind words! I'm glad that you watched my vid and appreciate you for taking time for it. :) My stories are pretty much told in this thread and they're all true.

I wish there are Japanese fans who don't mind telling their stories about encountering RATT, especially Robbin fans.
Although I often cried when I think of him, listened to his last solo recorded at Juan's studio, reading about his last days, I cannot imagine the deep sadness they must've felt when they knew the passing of Robbin. :(

BTW, this is a link to a very nice interview with Bobby. The interviewer himself is a drummer so that he knows sh*t. LOL
Bobby talks about several projects he's working on!

[url]http://rockinlifestyle.com/bobbyblotzer.cfm[/url]

For those on Twitter, why don't you follow Bobby? He's planning to give away his sticks when he gets lots of followers!

[url]http://twitter.com/rbltzr[/url]

Hey Bobby, I must've had to put priorities on going to LOUD PARK & HALFORD shows over your book, but of course I'm
going to buy it for sure. Until then, I just wanted to show my appreciation for your kindness by telling my encounter stories w/ you.

WJDCRZY's picture

@Eternal Servant: Enjoyed the Neil Zlozower interview with Bobby! Thanks for sharing that link.

BigRATTfan's picture

[quote=Eternal Servant]It's June 6th in the US. Robbin passed away 9 years ago.

Thank you, Robbin! \m/

Here is a vid of an interview with Robbin & Bobby recorded in 1985.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sk7Sa1TCoI[/url][/quote]

Thanks for the reminder Eternal Servant.

RIP to Robbin "The King" Crosby. At his best he probably had a better rock star look than anyone in RATT and he had one of the best rock star looks in ALL of rock and metal!!

I just saw the video for "Nobody Rides for Free" recently on Youtube. What a great song! WHY isn't Robbin in that video?? He's on the cover of the 81/91 album that song is on so why isn't he in the video?? That really SUCKS!

Eternal Servant, who is that guy with the beard in the picture with you?

robbinbird's picture

[quote=Upscope]Bobby gets a lot of negative press but much of it is deserved & is brought upon by himself. He has a reputation for putting his foot in his mouth & sometimes appears to come of as 'immature' or maybe even a little 'socially awkward.' He just seems to have a knack for saying the wrong things to the wrong people & has been labeled in the business. Part of me believes it's mostly from too much boozing. People tend to get a little too aggressive w/ their words & actions when they've had a few too many & Bobby always seems to have had a few too many. That's the way I see it anyhow.

I've meet him on 3 occasions & my personal opinion of him is that he's harmless & a pretty cool dude that appreciates the dream life he's had w/ Ratt. The first time I met him was after a show in Vegas where I live. This was when Jizzy was still singing. The first thing I said to him was "man you guys gotta get it together & get the real band back in order. That's what the fans want." he looked @ me @ said 'changes are coming.' That's all he said. He repeated it like 4 times in a row & then turned around & walked away. Almost as if he was annoyed by my remark & not wanting to talk about it. I got the impression that he already knew that Ratt was going to get back together soon & he was giving me a heads UP but couldn't really elaborate. Sure enough 2 months later Ratt was back together.

The second time was in Hollywood after he joined SEP & Juan on stage & jammed 'Lay It Down' & 'R&R' w/ them. I approached him in the club afterwords & tried to have a conversation w/ him but he was wasted & belligerent & simply in no mood to speak. His GF was trying to get him out of the club but all he wanted to do was talk to Scot Coogan who was SEP's drummer @ the time.
The first two times I met him I was left w/ a sour taste in my mouth & had pretty much lost interest in pursuing whatever is that Bobby Blotzer stood for. But he more than made UP for it the 3rd time I met him.

The third time I met him was in Japan in '07. I made the trip over to see Ratt's 4 date tour there & visit a few friends. After the first show @ the Hatch in Osaka I got gist from the locals that rock bands tend to visit a local bar in the city called the Rock Rock?? I found my way there & hoped the Ratt guys would show. Sure enough Blotz & Corabi walk in w/ Dave Mustaine. I was the only American in the bar & Blotz walked UP to me & asked if I was American. I said yes & he asked me what I was doing there. I told him I was from Vegas & came over to see the tour. Blotz was floored that I had made the trip over & very grateful to my dedication & support of the band. He invited me over to his table & throughout the night in between all the attention he was getting from the Japanese fans managed to carry on a lengthy conversation w/ me. Almost as if he was awarding me for making the trip. He seemed more interested in my story than I was of his. I got to talk to him about Ratt & more specifically about Robbin (he really did love Robbin) for probably about an hour and I must say I was VERY impressed w/ his generosity & kindness towards me. He even bought me a beer!!
I asked him why they hadn't played 'Body Talk' in the set that night & he said he didn't know & would talk to Warren about it. The 3 remaining shows 'Body Talk' was in the set.....LOL!! I had waited my whole life for this opportunity & was given more than I could have ever imagined.

The next night @ the Nagoya show I was in the front row & Bobby spotted me & after the first song (Sweet Cheater) popped his head from behind the set & pointed & screamed Vegas while giving a thumbs UP!! LOL!!After the set he came UP to the end of the stage & handed me his stix. Trust me, Bobby Blotzer can be the coolest dude in the world when he wants too.

As far as the meet & greets go I just don't get it. I found my way backstage after the Yokohama show & all the Ratt guys made an appearance.....All of them EXCEPT for Bobby that is. This was my first time meeting SEP btw & must say for all the negative press he gets for being un-fan friendly he was cool as hell to me. I asked him where Bobby was @ & he just said that he didn't like doing these things after shows??
Don't ask me why he wouldn't. I just don't get it??

Btw Eternal Servant I have a strong suspicion that the same SEP fan that helped you get backstage was the same person responsible for getting me back there??

Peace....[/quote]

Hello, my friend, great to see you here on this board!

Great post, but I think you forgot about the time you met & talked to Bobby, Corabi and Robbie when we were all at the Hard Rock in Vegas in '07.......can't remember if Blotz was cool that day or not, as I didn't go over there with you guys....

*Waving from Cape Cod*

Upscope, thanks so much for sharing your precious experience!
I've heard many Japanese Ratt fans went overseas to see Ratt's shows but never heard Americans came to Japan to see Ratt shows!!! Good effort brings good luck, I believe. : )
At the backstage of Yokohama show in '07, there were about 15 ppl. I remember two guys and I thought somebody mistakingly said they were Australians. The rest was all Japanese...........One of the guys was you? When I've read your post, I was like.... Wow! Were you drinking beer w/ John Corabi? Right?

As soon as I saw Stephen, I went out to the hallway, instead of staying in the room. I consider myself as a Bobby fan and didn't need to stay in the room. I asked Stephen where Bobby was and he asked a staff member about it. The answer was that Bobby went back to the hotel. The year 2007 was the year they just got back together again.
I wouldn't be so surprised that they kept distance especially lawsuit thing was still fresh in memory.

I'm grateful for Stephen to let me in backstage as one of 4 accompanies of my friend, now an ex-friend.
This lady isn't a slutty kind but well educated decent woman. That's what I wanted to remind Stephen about it.
She even went to live in SD to study coz SD is a hometown of Ratt! I'm glad that he understood that she's a super-diehard fan and remembered that she was always showing him support whenever Ratt toured Japan.
H****O rules. I still respect her.
I think she's not the one who helped you w/ getting into backstage, Upscope.

That's the occasion Stephen told me about Time Slips Away is about Robbin. I always have tears in my eyes when listening to it. Stephen sings, "I always think about you everyday.........When I'm alone at night I'm losing my way....."

Upscope, if there is any story about Robbin you heard from Bobby, something appropriate to share w/ fans, could you share it?

The last time I met Robbin was at the Hasting's in LA, Detonator release event. At that time, there was a rumor that Warren might leave the band and that's why I told him, "Keep On Ratt 'N Roll". Although Robbin's solo part was dramatically decreasing, I never thought about him leaving the band coz he was in the band earlier than Warren was.
Ratt w/o Robbin was unimaginable. All I said to King was "hi!" I do regret that. Had I known that he was thinking of leaving, I would've begged him to stay. :(

Folks, my point of discussing about Robbin is because I feel the current recess of the band activity is pretty much the same reason Robbin was pushed into the corner which made him dependent on drugs.
That is who controlls RATT and whose ideas weighs more kinda thing. I remember Bobby said in an interview that they don't need a few bosses. The same problem stayed for over two decades. This got to be resolved. Robbin sacrificed his life for this.

In case anyone hasn't read the final days of Robbin, pls read this.
[url] http://www.robbincrosby.net/words/page1.htm[/url]

I believe Robbin clearly knew what sound is best at RATT. As Stephen says in an interview, "Robbin made sure we retained our heavy metal jacket." Pretty much authentic style which derives from Judas Priest, charismatic vocal and stage presence, beautiful killer twin guitar harmonies & guitar battles, killer rythm team.
Let's hope RATT wins a grammy this year as finally the Metal Gods won a grammy last year. \m/

SeattleRATT's picture

Hey - so I've been critical of the guys lately...so thought I would add this.

I met Bobby Blotzer in 1984. I worked for the hotel where RATT had spent an afternoon sleeping while on tour. They were headlining a show in Decatur, IL that night (this is tour was just prior to them touring with Billy Squier). Anyway, the other guys had already left for the show...but, Bob spent some extra time in the hotel lounge (wearing his white leather jumpsuit, which was V-cut down the center..pretty much to his waist (gotta love those 80s rock fashions!!)). Anyway, he and his two bodyguards (or babysitters??) needed a ride to the show. Bob was very nice to me, gave me an autograph, and made sure that I was able to get backstage....and watch the show from the side of the stage. It was a great experience for a 16yo kid from the middle of nowhere.

Other than seeing Round and Round on MTV (and how cool that video was at the time), this meeting with Bob cemented me as a RATT Kook for life. (sorry Bob, I'm blaming you for that too!! LOL)

Thanks for the memories guys. I really hope you have a big tour in 2011and beyond. You guys have the talent and momentum to really cement your place in rock and roll history. And, if not.....well...I think it is a huge mistake professionally.....but, in life...you have to be happy. If you aren't happy doing RATT, then I guess it is better to go do something else . Life is too short to be miserable. Good luck in all your endeavors fellas!

...and remember...

I'll have my friends forever....we'll walk the sands of time. (RATT - 1985)

BigRATTfan's picture

Happy belated birthday Robbin KING Crosby!

You always had the most towering presence in RATT and that great rock star look!

DANCE DANCE DANCE one for us!!

Thanks, Is-domino65 for taking your time to read and post in this thread! I'm glad to know Bobby is your fave drummer.
I've noticed that your joined date is about the time Internet was invented? :D

If anybody has Robbin related stories to share, I'll appreciate it in advance.

Robbin is gone but problems he was concerned still exist and it's so sad. Be peaceful, dudes in Ratt!!!!

Thanks, BigRATTfan for taking your time to comment. I hope you meet the members someday. They are human and there'll be good days and bad days but I hope it'll be a good meeting.

Someone mentioned that the company which handled meet & greet made an announcement that Bobby won't be there.
It's not fair to blame him not being there since it was announced beforehand.

Robbin's effort, contributions including his then-girlfriend Tawny Kitaen's appearance in promotion vids, helped RATT to be loved even today.
I wouldn't say RATT is bigger in Japan than in the US coz the population of Japan is about one third of US
but hard rock fans in Japan seems really waited patiently the release of INFESTATION since the debut in chart was high.

As for Robbin in TX, he lived in El Paso? TX after he left RATT in early 90's. I remember reading Robbin was helping a rock radio station, ZRock.
Around that time, internet wasn't widely available so that it was hard to get info.
For diehard Robbin fans, it brings tears to talk about him even now, I believe. I cannot fathom their sense of loss.
They probably won't even come around here. If they do, I hope they share their stories.

PPL blame him for using drugs but what caused him to escape in drugs?
If this band was run peacefully, he must be living here today.
Here is a link to his father's site. I hope he and his family members are well.
[url]http://www.harrywcrosby.com/author.htm[/url]

If their friend's death doesn't teach them lessons, what would? It's never too late to make peace.

@WJDCRZY: Thanks for sharing your encounter w/ RATT story!
I'm glad to know Warren treated you so nicely. As for Stephen, sorry about he was rude to you.
Like you said, he's human. One thing I'm sure of is he could have thrown me out of backstage right after the great show ('07) for asking why Robbin was made to a side guitarist but he didn't. I'm homely looking but he treated me fairly and quite surpised about the way he treated me.

When Warren came to Japan on a promotion tour for his solo album, he appeared on Masa Ito's show recorded live @ Minato Mirai Studio in Sogo Dept. Store in Yokohama. It was open for public and that was a great opportunity for fans to witness the guests close up.
On my way back to the train station, I saw Warren walking w/ his Japanese record company rep who earlier didn't pass him cool pics of him & Robbin together playing live @ Whiskey. The diehard fan I mentioned earlier in this thread gave them to me. I've decided to give them because I wanted him to remember good days w/ Robbin and dearly wished for the reunion.
Luckly I could talk w/ Warren while walking for a few minutes. I mentioned him that I lived in Austin, TX while Robbin was living in TX about the same time. Warren looked a bit surprised.
At the end, I told him that I wished for the reunion w/ the original members (Out Of The Cellar line-up).
He said he hope so w/ a smile.
Sadly in a magazine article a little bit after my encounter w/ Warren, he answers to a question that he doesn't have intention to reunite w/ Robbin. It was a total shock to me.

Warren's beautiful solo on You're In Love lured me to be a RATT fan first. But the beautiful twin guitar leads and the superb job done by the rest of the members on Round And Round struck millions of fans.
Have you guys watched the interview by Neil Zlozower yet? His story reveals how hard Robbin tried RATT to be recognized. His then girlfriend Tawny played a major role, too.
Since Robbin was a great guy, I think he was letting his little brother Warren gain guitar hero status, just like Malcom supports Angus from behind. However, Robbin was aware that ppl loved songs w/ harder edge more rather than bluesy stuff Warren was into.
Who could have a normal life after being stripped off what one worked so hard for all those years?
He was known as Gentle Giant. Do you think Gentle Giant would show his ego? I don't think so.

ANW, the success of INFESTATION proves the importance of twin guitar leads. Masa Ito himself mentions the importance of twin guitar leads in his liner notes for this album.
I agree that Carlos was the perfect guy for the current position. He was the member of the first hard rock band ever hit the No 1 on US chart. The songs he brought Eat Me Up Alive and Best Of Me & more prove his superb abilites.
Carlos should be treated as equally as the rest of the guys. Pls don't treat Carlos in a way Robbin was treated at the end. Although I haven't met Carlos, I met his brother Tony when he came to Japan as a member of Hurricane.
While Kelly Hansen fed up w/ being greeted by fans everywhere he went, Tony showed his appreciation to his fans.
I will always remember Tony's kindness.

As WJDCRZY mentions, RATT guys are human, just like everyone and we all have bad days.
If someone in the bands acts like an asshole sometimes, other members treat fans nicely and covering each other.
Band is a unit. Harmony is the importance.

In order to carry on the legacy of RATT in a peaceful way, discussing about Robbin is inevitable.
Without him, this band wouldn't have gained the fame. Same could be said for the rest of the guys.

Thank you so much for reading long posts. If anybody has encounter stories esp. w/ Robbin and his Texas days, could you share them?

Media often exaggerate and twist. That's why I want to know fans' stories hoping they tell them honestly.
Thanks in advance. :)

SeattleRATT's picture

RIP King!

nice posts Eternal Servant...

WJDCRZY's picture

@Eternal Servant: It is always a treat to read your posts!! Your stories make me wish I lived in Japan. It seems like it's much easier to find opportunities to hang out with them there than there are here in the states. Great stories everyone!

Thank you all, Nightfall31, Rob fray, ratt2001 and Seattle Ratt for sharing your encounter stories! :D

@Nightfall31, I feel sorry that you and other fans had a disappointing encounter w/ Bobby.
Robbin's condition seemed already bad in the late nineties. Imagine, having a buddy almost like a brother battling w/ illness which had no cure. I would go crazy and can't deal w/ the situation. If someone asked me a question on him, I would probably burst into tears so that just wanna avoid answering it.
When I got to talk w/ Stephen in '07 about Robbin, I actually cried and he told me to stop. Just being a fan make me cry talking about him, what would be like losing a real buddy? Some could stay w/ the loved one all the way but some just could not deal w/ the real tragic situation.

It's great to hear Warren treated you & other fans nicely. I've heard from the diehardest RATT fan that Warren usually keep giving autographs if time allows him to do.
However my encounter w/ him @ the backstage in '07 was not pleasant. He looked at me but didn't shake hands w/ me but he was really nice to this pretty girl whom I just met that day and got a ticket for her just in case she couldn't get into the venue due to her friend's misjudgement. You know I didn't want any diehard coming to the venue and not to get to see the show because her friend made a mistake.
Was I disappointed about not getting a handshake? Not really. After meeting the whole bands, I got to like Robbin more.
It's ironic coz Warren's playing got me into RATT in the first place. I realized that Robbin's metal oriented input and beatiful twin leads made really RATT. I told that to Stephen that day. I'm glad he brought back great roots into INFESTATION. I still like Warren, a guitar hero. His decision on choosing Carlos as a partner is superb!!!

BTW, are you also a member of Halford's Quorum? There're lots of funny dudes and I love reading their posts! I have to give warnings that thin-skinned ppl won't survive there!

@Rob fray, "down to earth" is what exactly is my impression on Bobby, even without the presence of media.

@ratt2001, Stephen was indeed awesome to me, too. It seems he got a lot nicer since he became a father.
He said during the concert in '07 that he thanks the fans coz they won't be in Japan w/o their support.
The venue was Yokohama Blitz probably hold about 1000 ppl.
Although all I said was hi, I also got impressions that Robbie is nice judging from the way he treated his guests.

@Seattle Ratt, that's a great encounter w/ Bobby story!

As a diehard Bobby fan, I'd like to share my Meet & Greet vid I mentioned before.
I was just a lurker on YouTube but I've decided to upload my vid to show how nice RATT members are! :D

Title: Encounter with Ratt
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nwv1J6uZdA

Upscope's picture

Hi ES,

Bobby mostly just talked about how genius Robbin was. Mentioned how he was no doubt the backbone of their success & talked about how generous & warmhearted he was. He made it very clear how much he & everyone else missed him. He never really told any personal stories about him. It was more about how important he was to the band & how Ratt would never be the same w/o him.
I will tell you this though Bobby wasn't back @ the hotel. He simply didn't do meet & greets that's all. Because after the Yokohama show which was the last one..... the promotion company for the tour hosted a post tour dinner. Robbie Crane was gracious enough to invite us along & when we walked in Bobby was there. After dinner he made his way to the Hard Rock Tokyo.
It was a very surreal moment & the highlight of the trip for me. Eating dinner w/ the guys from Ratt & Winger was priceless. We just kinda sat back & took it all in listening to the stories being told. Bobby even gave a sake toast & thanked us for the loyal support. All the guys were incredible. I got the impression that we weren't supposed to be there but the truth of the matter was I think they were impressed that we had information on where their 'secret hideout' was?? They never asked us to leave though :) . Reb Beach was especially nice to us. They told us no pictures but we couldn't resist on sneaking one shot....Oooops, sorry:
[IMG]http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w59/Upscope/2007_1113RattJapanTour004...

It was an amazing experience & for those that have talk negative about Bobby all I can say is that he was a strait UP class act by my accounts. I remember the Australian guys you are talking about & was listing in on their rather lengthy conversation they had w/ Corabi. I wasn't w/ them though. I have no idea who they were.They were talking about guitars & the Australian tour that preceded the Japan tour. i got to speak to Stephen in detail & my beautiful Japanese friend Iz even recorded a few minutes of the convo:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGH-35MU2K4

Giveitall's picture

A few quick stories on meeting the guys in Ratt. Nothing too good like the stories here. I just wanted to share a few moments and thoughts.....

I talked to Corabi in Baltimore in '07 after a show for quite a while. The guy was absolutely cool as hell to talk to.

I've must of spoken to Robbie Crane four or five times. He's always been very cool to talk to. I spoke with him in Denver '09 (which by the way was easily the best Ratt show I've seen out of my 25). I was on a work trip to the west coast and actually was able to schedule my trip around the tour. I was lucky enough to see them in Vegas, Denver and Cleveland. I told Robbie this and he just had a big grin on his face and said "Now that's what I'm talking about!".

I've met Warren three or four times now, the first being at the Hard Rock in Baltimore. He was very laid back, humble and very cool to me. Every time I've met Warren he comes across as being a little distant and not very engaging to me, but he's always been very nice. A couple of my friends have had great converstations ranging from his musical tastes to the Roadrunner label.

I've only met Blotz once and he was very, very cool to me. It was during a meet and greet during the last tour. I told him that I've seen the band a ton of times and met pretty much everyone but him. He asked me to step aside and talk to him for a while. I did for a little bit, but unfortunately, I felt pretty ackward keeping people held up and line and more or less just excused myself and walked away. Hating myself now for it.

Pearcy... the guy is a character. I've met him probably a half a dozen times or more by now. Every single time, the guy has been cool as shit. He's always been extremely cool about pictures, signing autographs, talking to you, what ever. The last time after a show in Wendover, UT (Another work trip I slid in), he looks at me and says, "Dude, you look familiar." My response "I hope so by now."

Anyway, I've never had anything but great expierences with all the guys. I would really love to have the opportunity to talk to the guys longer as most of you have. I've got about a 1000 questions for them.

August 4th is Robbin's birthday and he would've been 52 years old. Happy Birthday King!
I've just listened to Round And Round on YouTube. [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0u8teXR8VE4&ob=av2e[/url]

If anyone hasn't checked out The Zloz Hour, the guest was Stephen. He talked about Robbin saying he helped Robbin a couple of times. Stephen showed discomfort on someone took advantage of Robbin and telling stories that he's not happy about.
In my opinion, ppl looked at things differently and there are two sides of stories. Whether to judge stories to be true or not true is up to the ppl who read/hear them.

Here is the link. [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLB3GxWEj08[/url]

@BigRATTfan, you can read my encounter w/ the Metal God from the link below.
[url]http://www.robhalford.com/quorum/showthread.php?t=94878[/url]

Nobody Rides for Free was released after Robbin left. That's why he's not in the vid.
Twin guitar axes are the fundamental of Ratt. It took twenty years for the band to realize that.

domino65's picture

Bobby is my fave rock drummer. No doubt about it. As for Robbin, he was the king and probably it's true that he was the moderator inside the band. Thanks for sharing this great stories.

It's June 6th in the US. Robbin passed away 9 years ago.

Thank you, Robbin! \m/

Here is a vid of an interview with Robbin & Bobby recorded in 1985.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Sk7Sa1TCoI[/url]

Nightfall31's picture

Hello to you in Japan my friend!!!

Regarding Bobby, alot of drummers used to tell me that he was/is a solid drummer with alot of talent. That being the "time keeper" of Ratt, he was/is integral to the sound of the band.

And without him, they wouldnt have the classic sound of Ratt. True or false? I think its up to each fan to decide.

Ive met Bobby and Warren once at Crossroads in San Bernardino back in the late nineties. It was after the concert and we (the fans) were lined up outside their bus waiting for autographs etc. When Bobby walked by, someone shouted at him " hey where the hell is Robbin at dude?" and he responded " ah hes strung out on some shit right now"....and kept walking by. Right to his truck and drove away. The fans were silent, and stayed that way til Warren came out. Warren proceeded to autograph everyones items and talk with the fans for awhile, then left. That was my only experience with meeting the band........

Neil Zlozower has recently interviewed Bobby. Neil explained how he ended up working with Ratt! Robbin bugged him so much asking him to listen to a cassette including songs on the EP. There're Part One to Part Three. This legendary photographer is a funny dude and you'll enjoy the vids! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-Cl8PHYq1M

BigRATTfan's picture

Wow, when I first read this thread dedicated to Robbin I thought it was a new thread but then I saw on the first page that the posts are from last year!

Eternal Servant, Konichiwa! It's always nice to hear from Japanese fans. I hear RATT is still pretty big in Japan and they're bigger in Japan than even in America! Is that what all you guys think too?

It's great to see that all you guys have had mostly all positive stories about meeting the band. I'm surprised so many here have positive stories about meeting Blotzer because in another thread people complained about what an A-hole he was and how he didn't even CARE to meet fans at the meetups! I've GOT to meet Stephen and any of the rest whatever they do the next chance I get!

Eternal Servant, what do you mean by Robbin's Texas days? What happened in Texas back then? The 80s I assume you mean?

And last but not least, RIP to the KING Robbin Crosby. He had a HUGE part in their initial success with all the great songs on Out of the Celler, Invasion,, Dancing, etc. He had a rock star LOOK more than any other member!

Let's all drink a TALL cool one in memory of the KING!!

Upscope, that's a super amazing story!!!
Thanks for the link to the vid coz I didn't take any pictures or vid by my cellphone but there's a vid of my conversation w/ Stephen earlier that day.
In your friend's vid, I saw myself, a short one w/o glasses, walking in the hallway around 00:20. LOL.

Before Stephen left the venue, he said "Dinner?" to me and all I said was "Wow!"
Coz I was thinking F@kk, I bought a ticket for a girl whom I just met just in case she couldn't get in and had just enough money left to get home!!
Even if he may haven't really meant it, it was such an honor to hear him say that. :)
He gave two of us a red RATT T-shirt. I really needed that coz I was broke! LOL

Upscope, I appreciate you for sharing Bobby's feelings for Robbin and respect your dedication to RATT! :D

"Round And Round" recorded at Yokohama Blitz on Nov. 9, '07. It was such a great show!!!!
I couldn't help myself calling out "Robbin! Robbin!"
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWFzwjbRGh0[/url]

WJDCRZY's picture

I agree with Eternal Servant--It does appear that Robbin was a mediator. And there was a definite chemistry with him (and Juan) in the lineup. Unfortunately things do change, and I can't think of any better additions than Carlos and Robbie have been.

As for meeting members of the band--I had the opportunity to meet everyone except Bobby after a show in 2009. Warren was absolutely amazing--very humble and appreciative of his fans. Carlos and Robbie were great too. Stephen was, to put it bluntly very rude. No big deal--always figured he would be that way. Plus I realize these guys are human just like I am--we all have bad days, etc.

Anyway--I hope they can work through this Stephen/ Bobby thing and get back to touring and making music, which is what it's all about anyway!

WJDCRZY, thanks for your kind words!!
Visitors from overseas tend to get lots of attention. For example, a couple of former Mormon missonaries became famous here in Japan. Former Megadeath guitarist, Marti Friedman is fluent in Japanese and he appeared in lots of TV shows. Hard Rock Cafe is a good place to spot bands from overseas.

I wouldn't have been able to tell my stories in English w/o getting motivation to study as a result of the Meet & Greet in 1987 which can be watched here for those who haven't checked it yet.
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nwv1J6uZdA[/url]
I'm glad to be able to talk with Stephen 20 years later!! :D

Sharing the video was my way of showing appreciation to Ratt esp. Bobby and Robbin.
The T-shirt Bobby is wearing in the first pic I posted in this thread was present from me. I didn't realize about it until a friend gave me that pic!! I was still a teenager.

Fans' stories give good opportunity to get to know about the members other than magazines, tv & radio interviews.

Upscope's picture

Hello Miss robbinbird.....

It wasn't me who forgot that night.....it was you after the 9th shot of tequilla....lol!!

Technically, I never spoke a word to Bobby that night. I just took the picture & eavesdropped. Corabi was a cool cat though. And Robbie is always a class act.

*Waves back from Sin City*

Thanks, SeattleRATT for your kind words!

RATT performed for LOUD PARK on Saturday! I missed first couple of songs due to fatigues from traveling to Nagoya by long bus rides to catch HALFORD show on Friday.
I met a woman who got into metal first through RATT like me.
By walking in high heeled shoes all day there, my feet were killing me so badly and almost made me give up catching RATT but I just couldn't miss it!!!!!!

Stephen's voices were excellent! He emits an aura of true entertainer!
As for the rest of the guys, they've been in this business for so long and knows how to deliver superb shows!
Carlos does fit right in!!! Twin leads rule!!
Bobby's playing is really powerful!!! He gotta be the drummer for this band, no other!!!! :D
I think Eat Me Up Alive was played real faster it may not be planned that way but I loved it!
Nowadays RATT shows are held in smaller venues but today's show proved that they can play arena gigs well.
Since it's a festival and the crowds are mixed fans of different bands, reactions may seem a bit quiet but diehards were seen scattered everywhere.
I noticed Stephen often went close to Bobby. That was a nice gesture.
KEEP ON RATT 'N ROLL!

The songs I could catch were the followings.

Wanted Man
Back For More
Nobody Rides For Free
Lack Of Communication
You're In Love
Lay It Down
Best Of Me
Eat Me Up Alive
Round And Round

WJDCRZY's picture

@Eternal Servant: Just watched your youtube post--Wow! That must have been so amazing for you!! And I'm glad you learned English so you can share with us!!

BigRATTfan's picture

[quote=Eternal Servant]BigRattfan, yep, as for the rock starr look, Robbin indeed looked that way.

Nobody Rides For Free is released after Robbin left and it was a sound track for Point Break starring Patrick Swayze and
Keanu Reeves.

The beard man is The Metal God, Rob Halford who SEP mentioned about him on recent tweets on American Idols.
I got to meet him when he had a gig in Nagoya one day before The Loud Park on which Ratt was on the same bill.
Judas Priest will be on the last MAJOR world tour. (It doesn't mean retirement.) Folks, check them out!

I fortunately could meet my heroes, RATT, Rob & Glenn Tipton, John Sykes and Pariah whose bass player Sims Ellison (Renee Zellweger's ex-boyfriend who committed suicide after the breakup) passed away on June 6th, 1995.

June 6th is one of the saddest day for me.
[/quote]

Wow! I couldn't tell it was Halford because I know Halford is bald and he's got the cap and glasses on! You are very lucky! Not only you met RATT but you met the metal god Rob Halford! Where did you meet him and how were you able to get a pic with him?

I don't get WHY Crosby wasn't in the Nobody Rides for Free video because he's on the COVER of the 81/91 album that the song is on!! So why wasn't he in the video?? The band just looks weaker without the KING in there!

Pearcy made some nice comments about Crosby on his death anniversary on his twitter page:

[i]Robbin "King" Crosby RIP my brother. I think about him, the man all the time. My partner in crime.[/i]

Pages